Encountering a college party as a Freshman is like encountering the sun in the sky – it’s inevitable! So, what can you do to ensure you show up without completely embarrassing yourself in the process? The following tips and tricks will help guide you through your first college party experience:
- If the party has a theme, go for it! Dress up and participate. Nothing is worse than showing up to a party and being the odd one out who isn’t following suit. Themes make parties fun, so express yourself through them.
- Don’t go alone. If you can, bring a friend with you. This will provide you with a buffer for any awkward moments that you have alone as well as a party buddy to keep an eye on your drink if you need to step out.
- If you decide to participate in beer pong or flip cup, know the house rules. A little observation beforehand will do the trick and prepare you for your round.
- Be yourself! Don’t try to put on a front to impress people. It is a party and it is meant to be fun. People should like you for who you are versus who you think you have to be.
- Don’t overstay your welcome. If you notice people filtering out, move along with the pack. Nothing is worse than a party-goer who overstays.
- Do seek out new friendships. Networking is one of the biggest aspects of partying, so feel free to roam around a lot. Sticking with only one group or one person will limit your experience.
With your newfound confidence, go ahead and attend a party (or lots of parties)! Your career as a college student will be one of the most fun and rewarding experiences that you will have. And if you see any other Freshmen who are struggling, don’t hesitate to take them under your wing because helping others will also help the vibe of the party.